“You wanna eat, you gotta cook!” This is the motto for one of my favorite YouTube vloggers, Grandma Gina.
I enjoy watching her prepare dishes she learned to make when just a girl in Italy. Her videos are wholesome and her food is delicious. I’ve made several of her dishes and recently bought her cookbook!
This one is a favorite of my husband and is perfect for these winter months. I make it a little different from Gina, simplifying it for myself. I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we do. I’m linking her video so you can get to know her too if you don’t already.
Sausage & Peppers
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 bell peppers, green and red seeds removed and cut in large slices
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb Idaho potatoes cut in half and then in 1/2" slices on the diagonal
- 1 medium onion cut in 1/2" slices
- 1 can chopped tomatoes 8 oz
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Put sausages in a large casserole pan and prick with a fork. (I used a 14" cast iron skillet)
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
Preparing peppers, onions and potatoes
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Mix sliced peppers and onions in a large bowl and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Use the suggested amounts or more or less according to your taste. I use a little more than what's listed.
- Fry peppers and onions until soft. Then remove from the pan leaving the oil.
- Fry the potatoes in the same pan adding more oil if necessary for 5 minutes. Season the potatoes with ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper or to taste.
- Add in the canned tomatoes and stir. Cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Add water if needed to cook the potatoes.
- When the potatoes are done, add in the peppers and onion and stir until fully mixed. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, pepper and garlic powder if needed.
Combining the Sausages and Peppers
- After 30 minutes, remove sausages from the oven and slice in thirds. Turn the oven to 350°.
- Add the peppers, onion and potatoes to the casserole with the sausages. Mix well.
- Cover casserole and bake for for 20 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and serve with crusty bread.
Mad Dog says
I will definitely have to make this one!
I hope you like it!
Mad Dog says
I’m sure i will – perhaps with butifarra.
oh, that would be amazing!
I saw your comment on Mad Dog’s site, so I just had to stop by and “meet” you & follow. I love the idea that this sausage and peppers is a cozy casserole! Thanks for posting,
Thank you so much! I’m glad you stopped by.