When I was a kid, I spent the summers with my grandparents. My grandmother, Mama Smith, was a great cook, and she cooked everyday. No matter what she made for a homecoming, pot luck or family reunion, it was always the first dish empty.
One of my favorite dishes she made was baked beans. They are simply the best especially when along side of pulled pork sandwiches, hamburgers or hot dogs. I’ve never made her baked beans for a crowd that someone didn’t ask for the recipe. They are sweet and savory, a perfect side dish. I hope you try them at your next cookout or barbeque. I can almost guarantee compliments!
Mama Smith's Baked Beans
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cans pork & beans (21 oz)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Brown ground beef and onion in oil.
- rain well and mix the rest of the ingredients together.
- Put into a large glass pan and bake at 350° for about 45 minutes.