The new year began without fanfare. Hopes and dreams went unexpressed. Instead, we cast our eyes behind us wondering if things would ever be the same. We learned the future couldn’t be foretold. The new year came, and we held our breath.
Winter is the time to wait. It’s the time when all of nature is gathering energy preparing to surprise us with the Spring. Each year we wait and yet are shocked and overjoyed by the first golden buds in the trees and the green in the blades of grass. It reminds us that change will come.
While we wait, let’s don’t worry about what’s to come. Let’s don’t long for yesterday. Let’s be here in this moment. This gray moment when the rains come and stay. Let us create our own warmth and light up our own homes. Maybe we’ll realize that our own minds and hearts and hands were waiting on us. They wait on us to create the world we long for.
- 2 large golden potatoes peeled, cut in 1" cubes
- 1 large carrot peeled, cut in 1" cubes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 4 slices bacon cut in lardons or 1/2 cup serrano ham, cubed
- 2 pinches dried thyme
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried chives
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or cream
- Parmesan Cheese for topping
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add olive to the soup pot over medium high heat with bacon or ham.
- sauté for a couple of minutes until crisp. Remove from pot and reserve on a plate.
- Add butter to pot and sauté onions and celery until translucent and soft. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute or two.
- add potatoes and carrots and sauté for a few minutes.
- add chicken stock, thyme, bouillon, and water and simmer until potatoes and carrots are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- add evaporated milk, parsley, chives and reserved bacon or ham.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes and serve. Top with parmesan cheese. Serve with crusty buttered bread.
I'd love to hear from you!