“New thoughts and hopes were whirling through my mind, and all the colors of my life were changing.” ~
(the fallen world, the loony world)
something shapely, useful, new, delicious.” ~ Gail Mazur (Young Apple Tree, December)
- 1½ cups sifted cake flour
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup shortening or butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Sift first 6 ingredients into a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla, beat for two minutes on low speed with a hand mixer or stand mixer or 200 strokes by hand.
- Add eggs and beat again for two minutes.
- Bake in a greased loaf pan 9x5x3 inches for 50 to 60 minutes.