“You’ve got this life and while you’ve got it, you’d better kiss like you only have one moment, try to hold someone’s hand like you will never get another chance to, look into people’s eyes like they’re the last you’ll ever see, watch someone sleeping like there’s no time left, jump if you feel like jumping, run if you feel like running, play music in your head when there is none, and eat cake like it’s the only one left in the world!” ~ C. Joybell C.
There is no doubt that chocolate cake has an effect on the psyche. “Oh there’s cake?” Immediately whatever was planned instantly gets better. These little cakes are bound to delight. They are the perfect size for eating and sharing, and the brown butter frosting lets you know that you are eating something special. They are grown up cupcakes with a sophisticated taste. This recipe is from The Culinary Arts Institute’s Cookbook.
1 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¾ cups sugar
½ cup cocoa
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350º.
Cream butter, vanilla and sugar together.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition until light and fluffy.
Stir cocoa, flour, soda and salt together.
Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, blending well.
Place cupcake holders into 2 -12 cup cupcake pans or 2 -9 cup mini cake pans.
Fill each holder 23 full.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, then remove.
When cooled, frost with Brown Butter Frosting
Brown Butter Frosting
½ cup butter
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
½ cup half n half (more if necessary)
1 tbsp dark corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat until deep golden brown.
Remove from heat and stir in confectioners’ sugar, half and half, corn syrup, and vanilla extract.
Beat well. Frosting should be creamy and soft yet stiff enough to to spread on cake.
Chocolate Buttermilk Cake with Brown Butter Frosting
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1-¾ cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cups Cocoa Powder
- 3 cups Sifted Cake Flour
- 1-½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- ½ cups Butter
- 4 cups Confectioners Sugar
- ½ cups Half-and-Half or More If Necessary
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Corn Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. P
- lace cupcake liners into two 12-cup cupcake pans or two 9-cup mini cake pans.
- In a large bowl cream butter, vanilla and sugar together.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition until light and fluffy.
- In a smaller bowl stir together the cocoa, flour, soda and salt.
- Add this into the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, blending well.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
- Put pans into the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean.
- Remove pans from oven and set them on a rack.
- Let cupcakes stand 5 minutes, then remove them from the pans to a rack.
- When cooled, frost with the brown butter frosting.
- For the brown butter frosting:
- Melt butter in a medium sized heavy saucepan over low heat until deep golden brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in confectioners’ sugar, half-and-half, corn syrup and vanilla extract. Beat well. Frosting should be creamy and soft yet stiff enough to to spread on cake.
- ¡Que aproveche!