“Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It’ll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they’ll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields… and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?” ~ Sam Gamgee, The Return of the King, Peter Jackson from J R R Tolkien
The taste of strawberries. The taste, the smell … strawberries takes us back through our years. They represent ease and happiness. You’re a kid again when you eat strawberries. This strawberry shortcake is not overly sweet and the cream biscuits provide the perfect texture for the whipped cream and macerated strawberries. It is my FAVORITE dessert.
I found this recipe years ago in a magazine. I have no idea which one. It sits a torn out page in my Betty Crocker cookbook, the first cookbook I received when I married my husband 29 years ago today. Strawberry Shortcake is the perfect offering on this special day. It is tender, sweet and good which is how I would describe my life with Joe. Love you, hon. Happy Anniversary!
*** You might have noticed a slow down here at San Pasqual’s Kitchen. We have been in the process of selling our home and relocating to a new city. This, as you can imagine, has shut down the kitchen and limited any time for cooking, photographing, and writing. Hopefully, we will be settled around the middle of July and San Pasqual’s Kitchen will be up and running at full steam again!
For my fellow bloggers ~ I’ll be looking to you for all my foodie delights! Have a great summer everyone and as always … ¡Que aproveche!
- 2 pints ripe strawberries rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream whipped with 2 tbsp of sugar
- CREAM BISCUITS:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Put 1 cup strawberries into a bowl and sprinkle with sugar mashing lightly.
- Stir in remaining berries and let stand 1 hour at room temperature.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Have a cookie sheet standing by.
- CREAM BISCUITS:
- Mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Gradually add cream, tossing with a fork until clumps form.
- Press clumps into a smooth ball.
- Shape dough into a 6 inch log.
- Cut slices and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar and bake for 15 minutes or until tops and bottoms are light golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack and cover with a kitchen towel. Cool at least 10 minutes.
- To serve, slice biscuits in half with a serrated knife. Put bottom halves on plates and spoon about 1/4 cup berries and juice, then 1/4 cup whipped cream over each. replace tops. Spoon on remaining berries and cream.