Let the stoics say what they please, we do not eat for the good of living, but because the meat is savory and the appetite is keen. ~ Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Carnitas is one of those meals that arouses the appetites of everyone who walks through the doors. It’s succulent and versatile. It can be used for tacos or sat alongside mash potatoes and green beans or black beans and rice and that’s just the beginning. The leftovers can be used in empanadillas, quesadillas, casseroles or any number of dishes. This is one of my family’s favorite meals. I hope you try it and enjoy.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
8.5 lbs Pork Shoulder, bone in
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice or vinegar
5 or 6 cloves garlic, chopped
Preheat oven to 325°.
Cut deep slits into the pork in a diamond pattern and place in a roasting pan.
Sprinkle generously with salt. (I use sal gorda)
Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar.
Add chopped garlic.
Rub ingredients into meat
Roast for 3 hours or until bone pulls easily away from the meat.
- 8.5 lbs Pork Shoulder bone in
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or vinegar
- 5 or 6 cloves garlic chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Cut deep slits into the pork in a diamond pattern and place in a roasting pan.
- Sprinkle generously with salt. (I use sal gorda)
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar.
- Add chopped garlic.
- Rub ingredients into meat
- Roast for 3 hours or until bone pulls easily away from the meat.
Mad Dog says
I just put 3 kilos of pork belly in the sous-vide tonight with honey, anchovy and black garlic, but I think I’ll try lemon or lime next time…
It is so good, but yours sounds amazing! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!